There are a number of new features and improvements in SharePoint Designer workflows. Plus, these are the types of workflows that are built without much software code.
Lots of good stuff:
- We can now modify the built-in 'out of the box' workflows like Approval and Feedback. Customers have been asking about this for a long time.
- Workflow is much much friendlier in SharePoint designer. The editor is no longer an annoying pop-up window and difficult to use.
- Workflows can be easily moved from site to site, list to list, or server to server.
- Workflows now auto-generate the form the user fills out - no need to create a list, then create the workflow - you can now create a workflow with specific fields, and then take the auto-generated form and modify it further.
- Visio can now be used to design and layout workflow - targeted at a power user. Workflows can be moved between SharePoint Designer and Visio - perfect for one of Concurrency's PPM customers to modify a workflow and publish it to SharePoint.
- Workflows now include a visual showing what step it's on.
- Lots more SharePoint Designer actions for things like querying Active Directory, looking up users, and building rich emails.
- Many new InfoPath form fields, like an easy Date / Time picker
Click the thumbnails to view: