Did you say Communications Server 14 would be supported virtualized? Really? The answer is yes.
I was blown away when I heard it. Here are the details…
What's not supported?
- Virtualization of specific Communications Server roles
- SQL, Exchange, and AD virtualization where appropriate
- Hyper-V R2 (not R1) and VMWare
- Client virtualization (except Audio / video) - use IP phone
It goes with saying that you need to do appropriate scaling of your virtualized environment.
- Branch office / gateway only / mediation server + gateway
- Standard edition servers (already a single box)
- Live Migration of Communications Server VMs
The challenges with oversubscription that impact some companies will impact voice even more, so its very important to do appropriate planning of your virtual resources.