Awhile back, Travis posted the Excel version of Enum Creator (found here
). The Enum Creator spreadsheet works great for list that have less than 200 items.
So what do you do when you need to create a hierarchical list with thousands of items? One option would be to use the enum creator and paste the results together but we are looking for a fast solution that is repeatable, maybe we are using a data source from a 3rd
party system that can export the data to a CSV file.
With Enum Builder we can now create an unsealed MP with as many items as you need in one shot! Enum Builder for the most part works the same way as Enum Creator so the instructions should look familiar.
· Creates a ready to import unsealed MP.
· EnumerationValueID follows the naming convention Travis mentions in this blog post.
· Create an unlimited number of items in a single run of the tool.
· Only supports a 3 level hierarchical list
1. Compile your list values in to a csv file. You will need to ensure that you provide the Enumeration Root Name in column A. See below for an example.(I have included this example csv file in the download)
2. Enter the ID of your MP.
3. Enter the Version of your MP.
4. Enter the Name of your MP.
5. Enter the Name of the MP your Root Enumeration List is in.
6. Enter the Version of that MP.
7. Enter the Public Key Token of that MP.
8. Browse to the CSV created in step 1.
9. Select the file name and location where you would like to save your New MP.
10. Click Start.
Once Enum Builder has completed the start button is disabled, if you wish to create another MP that references another MP you just need to select a new CSV file and that will enable the start button again.
Dot Net 4.5 needs to be installed
You can downlaod Enum Builder on the TechNet Gallery
Please provide any feedback in the comments below.