I was attempting to install SCCM 2012 SP1 and I ran into a problem where SCCM was trying to download its installation files. I was greeted with the prompt “an error has occurred while attempting to download or verify required prerequisite components”. I first selected to use the already downloaded install files, after which I received the error. I then selected to download again to the same directory and it also failed.
The solution I found was pretty simple. I deleted the directory of already downloaded files and completely re-downloaded them, which worked like a champ. I’m assuming that some of the files from the previous install of SCCM 2012 were not compatible with the installer of the SCCM 2012 SP1 media. That said, it seems odd that it wouldn’t detect that the old files were not the accurate ones and simply overwrite them.