I ran into a problem where I was unable to register the DLLs for the Service Manager smlets. In copying the dlls to the c:windowsassembly folder I received the error “access denied”. I then took steps to disable User Access Control and rebooted. I continued to receive the error, likely because some aspect of UAC is still enabled, or there is another control applied through group policy.
A solution I found was to load the command prompt as an administrator. I then manually registered the dlls using “regasm”. This should even work with UAC on, since I’m running in the administrator context.
Manually Register the SMLets Assemblies
Here is a reference to regasm:
Here are a few previous blogs on smlets troubleshooting and configuration: